10 Exercises you can do at home to improve your gymnastics skills
Do you want to help your little gymnast become the very best they can be? These are some at home training drills that can really help them improve without all the gym equipment.
1. Spider-Man against the wall: A hand stand is one of the most common positions in all of gymnastics. To practice this, the spider man against the wall helps practice the correct form for a handstand. Start with you hands on the floor in front of you, and put each foot on a wall. Slowly walk your hands closer to the wall and your feet up the wall until your stomach is against the wall and hold as long as you can. Keep your head neutral but look at your hands with your eyes. While in position, concentrate on tightening all your muscles.
2. Sprints: Sprints are a great way to improve your power and speed for vaults. Sprints can be done anywhere.
3. Splits: Splits are another very common position in gymnastics in leaps and jumps.
4. Pull-ups: Installing a pull-up bar is a great way to increase upper body strength necessary in gymnastics.
5. Scales: To practice scales, stand on one leg and lift the other leg directly in front of you for a front scale or directly behind you for a back scale. Scales help with flexibility and balance.
6. Jumps: Keep your body tight and jump as high as you can while maintaining body position.
7. Leaps: Leaps are common in floor and beam routines. When practicing, concentrate on keeping the angles of each leg the same, keeping your legs straight and coming as high as you can off the ground.
8. Turns: Turns are also common on floor and beam routines and can be practiced in your socks on carpet or kitchen floors.
9. Conditioning: Any exercise at all is good for gymnastics because gymnastics is a sport that uses almost all of your muscles and the stronger each muscle, the more you are able to do.
10. Your routine: If you have a gymnastics routine, go through it without the tumbles. This is called a “dance-through.” The more you go over it, the less likely you are to forget it at a meet.